It’s that time again! Time for the “Finish It!” design challenge! The purpose of this challenge is to encourage the participants to extend themselves, their talents and creativity, beyond the limitations of a single set of instructions and create pieces uniquely their own. Each contest has resulted in a wealth of beautiful and original artistic expressions, and I expect this one will produce no less the amount of brilliance. You have all amazed me with, not only your exuberance and enthusiasm, but your results as well, and I’m excited to see what this contest will inspire within you. Here’s the gist: At the bottom of this post is a link (highlighted in red) to a tutorial only 8 pages long, and ending abruptly halfway through the instruction. Your job is to create a piece beginning with the steps, as explained in the file, but ending with your own imagination!
- Due to the limited number of materials and tools, and to assure fairness, only one material from the “Materials & Tools” list (provided in the tutorial) may be changed. The size of the stone can change, but lengths and gauges of wire may not. Gauge of wire may change, but lengths and size of stone may not. Tools not listed may not be used, including (but not limited to) torches, hammers or kilns. Oxidizing materials and tumblers may be used, as they do not directly influence the design.
- When a piece is completed to his or her satisfaction, the contestant is asked to submit one photo of one finished piece via email, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please title this email “Contest Entry”. The completed project may be photographed on a chain, if desired, and on any display. Please re-size photos to no more than 800 pixels, and save the image file as your name only. The deadline for this submission is June 15, 11:59 pm (US Eastern). Note: Photoscape and Picasa are both free programs suitable for image resizing and photo editing.
- On June 16, an album will be created on Flickr containing the submitted entries, then put to vote before all participants. Note: By submitting an entry to the May “Finish it!” Design Challenge, you are granting Nicole Hanna permission to display your image online for the purposes of promoting or running this contest.
- The participants will vote for “Group Favorite”, by commenting on their favorite entry (only one), with all votes submitted between Midnight June 16 and Midnight June 22. If you do not have a Flickr account, please submit your vote to email@example.com and I will comment on your behalf.
- Votes will be tallied and winner announced Noon, June 23.
A “Judged Favorite”, chosen by a panel of four jewelry artists and three “consumers” (who are not participating in the contest), will also receive any three tutorials of their choice.
Every contestant will receive the finished version of this tutorial simply for participating. So it’s a basketful of goodness, and all you have to do is try.
Happy weaving everyone, and I hope you have fun!
Please Note: This contest is now closed to new entries. You can read more about (and view) the gallery of entries here.