On September 8, 2013
Back in December, a multi-talented jewelry artist, Marcy Bell, challenged me to wire wrap a pair of elf ears for her. It was a frustratingly magical, fairy-filled bag of what-was-I-thinking that, if truth be told, made me want to scratch out my eyeballs with the mangled remains of wire quickly piling in the graveyard of failure. But…. I persevered and finished what would be the most curious piece of wearable wire I’ve managed to craft to date.
A couple weeks later, I happened upon a Felicia Day vlog in which she was discussing her latest guest appearance in a season 8 episode of Supernatural titled “LARP and the Real Girl”. Having mentioned she’s never LARP’ed (Live Action Role Playing), I felt the familiar tug settle over me of a subliminal, masochistic, motivational challenge and my second pair of elf ear cuffs was born.
Now I cannot stress the depths to which my inner geek will go to touch something that touches Felicia Day. I loved her in season 7 of Buffy. I loved her in The Guild and Dr. Horrible’s Sing-a-long Blog. She made the final season of Eureka one of the most endearing on TV. Her YouTube channel, Geek & Sundry, gives my children a reason to talk to me. The show she does with her brother, Co-Optitude (in which they play vintage video games) is hilarious. Dr. Mario, I think of you often. Sniff. And because I’m a properly creepy fan, I sent her a pair of elf ears hoping she would at least mildly admire them before snorting sarcastically (yet adorably) and passing them to one of the thirty-five assistants I imagined she has. Because she’s fabulous!
But no. No…. she doesn’t snort sarcastically at all! Well, maybe she does, but in my head, she totally cooed. In fact, I get an email from her assistant (one of the thirty-five, I’m sure) that she would be wearing them on an upcoming episode of Co-Optitude, “Secret of Mana”…. and I will tell you something…. I have never experienced a tizzy until that moment. It feels something like a Christmas morning during which Jesus blesses you with wine and Santa showers you with chocolate, and then they hug each other and pat each other on the back in a hearty, manly fashion for keeping the spirit of the holiday alive for alcoholics and Snickers junkies.
Yeah. It was pretty perfect.
I watched that video thirty-two times. I figured if I was going to act creepy, I might as well commit. And the comments… wow, the comments were so amazingly supportive and made me smile and love even more that I get to make jewelry every day.
Then she tweeted about it. Totally tweeting. I don’t even like using the word “tweet” unless also followed by “-y bird”, but I actually opened a Twitter account (@NHJewelry) because Felicia Day tweeted about my ear cuffs.
I’m pathetic. Don’t judge me.
And now I’m planning my very first Twitter contest. I’m not even entirely sure how to tweet contests. I even Googled how because I’m a sad, sad over-achiever. But still, I was confused. I don’t understand the @reply nonsense and the hashtag whatchamacallits, and even called it “twittering” before my 16 yr-old threatened to emancipate himself from my care, but I’m going to try this because someone should win a pair of sterling silver elf ears.
I introduce to you the #earnyourears Elf Ear Giveaway! There are multiple ways to earn an entry.
- Follow me on Twitter, via @NHJewelry.
- Tweet #earnyourears @NHJewelry with a link to this blog post!
- Tweet #earnyourears @NHJewelry and tell me where you would wear your sterling silver elf ear cuffs.
- Tweet #earnyourears @NHJewelry with a picture of your ear. Because I’m eccentric…. And since this is a little creepy, it will earn you two entries! (Who says I’m not a giver!). Dirty ears get you -5 entries so take a Q-tip to those bad boys first. And if I find your ear picture in some random Google search, I’m raining down upon you some mildly insulting shame for being a cheater. Don’t do that.
- Mention the #earnyourears Elf Ear Giveaway on Facebook and tweet @NHJewelry with the link. Remember to adjust your privacy settings of this Facebook post to “public”, otherwise I can’t see it!
Because, see… here’s the thing: this contest will not close until I reach 1000 Twitter followers. I know, I know. I’m only at 70, and that’s a tall order, but it can be done! Twitter is massive. Facebook is massive. Spread the word and this can happen.
The winner will be drawn at random. But, here’s the good news… there will be more than one prize. The grand prize is a pair of sterling silver elf ear cuffs, valued at $130. But there will be two random pendants (valued at $50 each) given to two random winners as well! That’s even better odds, right? I’ll tweet pictures of the pendants when I decide what I want them to look like. Because I’m a procrastinator and like to stew in the creative juices of indecision.
Now, because it’s required, there are some rules:
- Do not create multiple accounts in order to increase your chances to win because…#shameonyou.
- Do not post the same tweet repeatedly. It wont count anyway. One of each of the tweets above and that’s what you get.
- Don’t forget the @NHJewelry in your tweets, as detailed above, so I’m notified of your new content.
And that’s it. I think I covered all the bases and gave you multiple ways to win. And hopefully you followed this long-winded post with the 2am enthusiasm with which it was written.
Good night my little Lords and Ladies of the Ring. Sleep tight and dream of sexy elves.
GIVEAWAY NOW CLOSED! Winner is @Oxana124!