I have to admit, I have a purely selfish motivation behind any contest I run. Sometimes, as an artist (and I’m sure you can all relate), there comes moments of extreme distortion when I lose my vision, if even just momentarily, and a crazy and wild fear sets itself inside of me.
Oh boy… those are some ugly and frightening times.
But then, just for the joy of creation, someone like you shows the fear in someone like me a poem or story, a drawing or remarkable piece of jewelry, and I can find my voice again.
That’s all it takes. You showing me something beautiful, meaningful, original, and part of you.
And because I can’t get enough of beautiful things, I’m holding another contest. I especially enjoy the “Finish It!” contests, because it shows just how versatile a single series of steps can be.
How it will work:
- Contestants are asked to read the instructions provided, at the end of this post, and work beyond the limitations of the steps included, finishing the project on his or her own. That’s right, I provide for you an incomplete tutorial and it’s your job to continue where the directions end. A materials and tools list is included within the tutorial. You may exclude items from this list, but may not add to the list. You may substitute one item from the list with something else, but this can only occur once and it must be with a similar item. For instance, swapping a coin bead with a round bead, or a 15mm bead with a 5mm bead. You cannot, for example, switch the 15mm coin bead for a cabochon, or a bead for more wire. Ask below if you have any questions!
- When a piece is completed to his or her satisfaction, the contestant is then asked to submit one photo of one piece via email, to email@example.com. Please re-size photos too 800 px, and save the image file as your name. The deadline for this submission is Feb 28, 11:59 pm (US Eastern).
- On March 1, an album will be created on my Flickr account containing the submitted entries, and will be put before all the contestants to vote for group favorite.
- The contestants will vote once by commenting on their favorite entry, with all votes submitted between March 1 and Midnight March 15.
- Votes will be tallied and winner announced Noon, March 16.
Every contestant will receive the finished version of this tutorial simply for participating. So it’s a basketful of goodness, and all you have to do is try.
Happy weaving everyone, and I hope you have fun!
Note: this contest is now closed to new entries.